Review and swatch: Maybelline Baby Lips in Grapevine


By now Maybelline Baby lips have been out for a while, but I am still hearing constantly about how great this lip balm is. Frankly, I don’t think it’s that great.
I purchased the “Grapevine” baby lips several months ago. It is a slightly tinted lip balm that is supposed to be very moisturizing and actually change the texture of your lips to be “baby soft”. When I first purchase the tube it had a very strong fake grape scent. Now it is quite faint and much more stand able. When you apply the balm, it has an oily texture to it. It is more like a Chapstick than Burt’s bee’s balm; I’d say it’s actually oilier than a Chapstick.

The color I purchased, grapevine, looks very purple in the tube and when applied gives just the slightest bit of color; it is barely noticeable. It simply evens out my natural lip color a bit. All of this would be able to be put aside if it was a great moisturizing lip balm. Unfortunately, for me it is not. It does moisturize a bit, but the moisture only last an hour or so before you have to reapply. After the balm fades I do not notice an actual difference in the texture of my lips.
my bare lips
wearing babylips grapevine

Baby lips retails for $2.99 at Target. Most Maybelline coupons do not work on them, but occasionally one can be found. Overall I cannot understand the hype surrounding this product. Its smell is strong, the texture is oily, and it doesn’t really moisturize. Instead of this I tend to reach either for my Burt’s Bee’s lip balm ($3.29) which moisturizes and has a nice beeswax texture and minty tingle or some Aquaphor Healing ointment ($4.99 for 1.75 oz).


Comments

Popular Posts