Simple Apple Galette/ Tart


I’ve never had success with pies, but I do have good results with this basic tart recipe I’ve slightly adapted from Martha Stewart’s “Pies and Tarts”.
Ingredients:
2 apples (I use pink ladies or any slightly tart baking apple)
½ cup sugar
1 tbsp. butter
Egg wash made from one egg and milk
I sheet puff pastry
The puff pastry is wear I move a bit from Martha. Her book recommends making your own puff pastry and using a 9 inch round. I don’t often feel like spending 12 hours or more to make a huge batch of pastry I have to freeze, so instead I but it pre made and frozen. I simply thaw a sheet when needed.  I also keep it rectangular as not to waste the pastry.
First pre heat your oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.  Then cover a cookie sheet with parchments paper. Cover it with parchment paper, dear god! If you don’t cover it you are going to spend your afternoon scraping a hard sugar layer from your tray, trust me. Then lay out your 9in square of thawed puff pastry.
Now, take your two apples and cut them in half and core them, do not peel. Then, slice then thinly as possible. I like to use a mandolin for this and then a slice the whole pieces in half to make half moons. Watch your fingers.
Prick your puff pastry with a fork all around except for a ½ inch border. When in doubt be generous with the border otherwise your juice will leak out later.  Then spread ¼ cup of your sugar in the pricked area, not the border!
Now arrange your apple slices around the border and going in overlapping each slice and each layer.  Then take your egg wash and brush it only over the border. Now, take your last ¼ c. sugar and drizzle it over the apples. Lastly, cut your butter into little pieces and dab on top of your tart. Don’t get them too close to the border or it might leak out.
Cook for about 20 minutes in your preheated oven, then enjoy!


Comments

Popular Posts