Recipe: Raisin Scones (Basic Scone Recipe)



One thing I love to bake regularly is scones. Whether it’s just basic scones, raisin scones, Blueberry, currant, cranberry, just all the scones okay?  This is the recipe I regularly follow because it’s simple and basic and makes some really nice scones. You can find recipes all over the internet and feel free to try those too (like I have) but I always fall back on this recipe since it makes the perfect amount to (around 10). Also, if you feel temped to go to the BBC website and use their scone recipe, don’t. It’s crap so stay away.
The Recipe:
Ingredients:
2 cups of self-rising flour (or if you want to use AP flour use 2 cups of that plus 2 tsps of baking powder and ½ tsp of salt)
1 tsp baking powder
¼ c (4 T) chilled butter
5 tsps sugar
2/3 c. milk
(if you want to add dried fruit like raisins add ½ cup of them)
Firstly preheat your oven to 425 F and slightly dust your sheet pan with flour.
Next in you bowl add your flour baking powder and sugar, stir it well. Then you add in your cold butter. I like to first cut it into 6-8 pieces and then cut it up with a fork in the bowl. I then like to use my fingered until it is well rubbed in and somewhere in the size range of bread crumbs to small peas.
If you are going to add fruit do it now. The dough gets pretty solid so it’s hard to add them after the milk.
Now make a well in the middle of your dry ingredients and add your milk and then mix with your fork until it forms your dough, it should be pretty solid and not runny or very sticky.
Plop in down onto a clean, floured work space and knead it a couple of times until it’s smooth and then roll or pat out to a ½ layer. Do not do more than ½ inch! When in doubt make it thinner. They will fluff up very well and if you make then too thick they will not cook completely and if you leave then in for too long the bottoms will burn.
uncooked scones

Now cut them out using a 2 inch cookie cutter and place them on your floured tray and dust the tops with flour. The recipe says it makes 12 but I don’t see how that’s possible. The most I can get is 11 and that’s after rolling the dough out like four times and what I have left is just the tinniest scrap (and I add raisins which ass more mass!)  so I say this makes around 10. Pop them in the oven for 10- 12 minutes and Voila! Scones!
(Note on my scones: they may seem a put “under risen” or as if they have a seam and it’s true. I don’t have a round cookie cutter so I use a Mason jar lid which causes them to not rise as much or to rise unevenly; if you have a cookie cutter yours will look nicer.)

So that’s it! I find this recipe very easy and great for beginning bakers. The ingredients are simple and things most people will already have in their homes. It also doesn’t make a huge batch so it’s not wasteful. I hope you enjoyed this recipe, if you have comments or suggestions write them down below!
the original recipe page

Comments

Popular Posts